Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Go Seigen vs. Inoue Kohei -- 11/25/1927

My Go is more or less on hold for the moment, as I try to spend all my time on maths in hopes of someday finishing my thesis. I still take a few minutes every day to do some problems and review a pro game though. For the past week or so, instead of looking at a recent game or an old Lee Sedol game, I've been studying this 1927 Go Seigen game.



















It is the second game in the "Grand Masters" series on Guo Juan's Audio Lessons site. I love the pro game reviews on her site, but I find that I get a lot more out of them if I memorize the game first. I have this game memorized now, but I'll continue reviewing it every day until I get a chance to watch both of the lectures on it.

These lectures (in the "Grand Masters" series) are done by Jujo Jiang 9p. His style is very different from Guo Juan's, but I really enjoy his lessons as well. Go Seigen's games are beautiful and worth studying in their own right, but one of the things that I especially like about these lectures is that you get to hear stories about the players and the games that, as westerners, we would probably never hear otherwise.

No comments: