Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Cambridge Pics


Since there was a break in the rain today, I took some pictures of Cambridge on my way out of town. Cambridge is small and medieval compared to the huge imperialist London. Jess would say that Cambridge is older and crustier.


They close off streets in the middle of town to cars, leaving the cobblestone lanes to pedestrians and cyclists. I love this. I walk a lot, and it always gives me this expansive feeling of release, tinged with a bit of defiance and victoriousness, to stroll down the middle of the street, knowing that the excessive, noisy, polluting cars are banned. I love a big trip on the open road as much as anyone, but cars don't belong in cities. It was a tactical error to ever allow it in the first place. But outside the center, the cyclists still have to battle with the cars for the roads.




As far as I can tell, these canals are mostly used for tourism nowadays. They seem pretty clean to me, compared to what I imagine they must have been like when they were a major source of transportation.

No comments: