Friday, November 10, 2006

Fish & Chips

Earlier this week, I joined a few other maths postgrads for fish & chips for lunch. It was the first time since I've been living here that I've eaten fish & chips. One of the guys who came with us is from somewhere on the coast of England and said that you can't get really good fish & chips in London, but he said the place we went to (the Rock and Sole Plaice) was the best he'd had so far.

I'm suffering from too much beer consumption last night (some might go so far as to call it a "hangover"). Brenda invited "The Emperor" to join us for drinks at the pub. His nickname comes from being the rather demanding social organizer of another maths postgrad office down the hall from us. He's from Belfast and has quite a reputation for drinking often, long and heavily. The bar staff greeted him personally when we arrived. Not only did he join us, but another 5 guys showed up and I drank twice as much as I usually do on our Thursday evening pub nights. The whole situation seems more likely to arise in fraternity initiation than in the social life of some maths postgrads. I think the conversation might have given us away though.

Actually, Peter (The Emperor) is no longer The Emperor since he finished and now has a job for which he has to get up in the morning. Supposedly another guy named Peter in the same office has taken over his role ("Peter the Second"), but I don't think he has quite the same knack for the job.

No comments: