Monday, February 19, 2007

Batter-Dipped Tofu and Ginger Sauce

I got Kathi to dig this recipe out of one of her cookbooks for me. I love it. The fresh tofu that I get at Borough Market is so good though; it seems wrong to fry it. So I just eat my tofu fresh, but my Chinese markets have not had the dipping sauce that I like lately, so I made some ginger sauce this weekend instead.

Ginger Sauce

  • 6 Tbsp. rice vinegar

  • 6 Tbsp. sugar

  • 3/4 c. plus 1 Tbsp. water

  • 2 Tbsp. soy sauce

  • 1 Tbsp. corn starch ("corn flour" here in the UK)

  • 1 Tbsp. finely minced ginger root


In a small saucepan, place vinegar, sugar, 3/4 cup water, and soy sauce, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water; stir into sauce. Cook mixture, stirring until clear and thickened.

Remove pan from heat; stir in ginger.

Makes 1 cup.


Batter-Dipped Tofu

  • 1 recipe Ginger Sauce (above)

  • 1/2 pound firm tofu

  • 1/2 c. unbleached flour

  • 2 Tbsp. toasted wheat germ

  • 1/2 tsp. thyme

  • 1/4 tsp. each of: dill weed, garlic powder, paprika and black pepper

  • 1 egg

  • 1 Tbsp. milk

  • 3 drops hot pepper sauce

  • 2 Tbsp. safflower oil


Prepare Ginger Sauce.

While it is simmering, cut tofu into 1-inch squares about 1/4-inch thick. Set aside.

In a medium-size bowl, combine flour, wheat germ, and seasonings.

In a separate bowl, lightly beat egg. Add milk and hot pepper sauce.

In a large heavy skillet, heat oil. Piece by piece, dip tofu into flour, then in egg mixture, and again in flour. Saute until lightly browned, about 3 minutes on each side.

Serve warm, arranged on a platter with cocktail forks and a bowl of sauce for dipping. Surround platter with curly lettuce leaves or large sprigs of parsley.

4 to 6 servings

No comments: